American Crafter: Pinterest {...offline} Inspiration Board

Friday, October 14, 2011

The theme for this round of American Crafter was, House of Order. We had to make something that
helped us to be organized. Tough call for me. My life is usually chaotic but I came up with a little something to organize a little section of my life.  For my project, I decided to make an inspiration board. I find when coming up with crafts, I have a hard time organizing all of my thought and my pictures and swatches, etc. Pinterest is great for organizing things you want to make but I don't always find everything online.  I am constantly dog-earring pages in magazines and then losing track because I cant remember where I saw the project.  So I decided to make a board that would help to organize all those thoughts in one place.


Usually when I decorate, I tend to go kind of shabby chic with pops of color, but in making things that have to do with my creative space, I like to use lots of bright colors. I find that it stimulates my mind and gets me thinking creatively.

With all of these things in mind, I decided to do and inspiration board and I brought in lots of bright colors to fully expand my creative mind :)

I started off by making fabric flowers in two different patterns. I love fabric flowers and they helped make the board so pretty. My favorites are the flowers with the button centers.

I continued by painting the trim of the board white. I cut a piece of fabric the size of the cork and used spray adhesive to attach it. Once that was on, I embellished the board with rick rack trim which I hot glued on and then I used spray adhesive to attach the ribbon and the doily corners. I had originally put the doily under the rick rack and didnt like the look of it so I put a second doily on top. Luckily I had accidentally cut two doilies together and so I had the exact lace pattern to place on top. 



Once that was done, I hot the glued wooden "CREATE" to the top and used scrapbook stickers to spell out "imagine" and "dream" along the borders. For a little extra decoration I added some multicolored scrapbook circle stickers around the words. 


To hang my "inspirations" I cut of the back of gold buttons and glued hot glued flat white thumbtacks to them to make my own tacks that matched with the gold buttons in the flowers for more of a chic feel.


Then I placed a few sample projects on the board (I'm already getting ready for Christmas) and that was it!!


I absolutely loved this project and all the colors. It was simple but really fun and its a cool tool to have handy to be visually inspired!!


Head on over to Naptime Crafters and vote for #7, pretty please!!








9 comments

  1. You did a fabulous job with this doll! I absolutely love the colors. I am a Cali girl and to see the bright colors remind me of home :) But such a great idea of making your at home offline Pinboard to remind you to do your crafts after you get off the comp lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute project! I love the colors and I know it will help keep you alittle more organized! Thanks for linking up! I will ne sure to go vote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHA! I thought I was the only one who still did Actual Physical Inspiration Boards anymore... Glad to see I am not a complete dinasaur! Great job!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    ♥Allie
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely idea! You have my vote dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so darn talented! It is fun but hard being in the same "competition" as you because I always adore all of your projects! :o) I like the idea of still having a print version in front of me instead of always relying on pinterest---what a cute and clever idea! Thank you for linking up this week too!
    :o)
    Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great "offline" Pinterest Board- what a great idea, and fun project! Love your photos as well, just stopping by from the Autumn Blog Hop :) April

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love your inspiration board!!! It turned out great! Thanks so much for linking this up to Monstrously Creative Saturday! :)

    Mandi at BBM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nikki! I love your offline board! Pinterest is fun, but I love to be able to see it all together "in person!" So glad you linked up to the Tuesday To Do Party!
    Smiles!
    Jami
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea! I love being able to see all my inspiration in person! Thanks so much for linking up with us at Show & Share! Can't wait to see you again on Wednesday!

    Marie
    mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete