12 Days of Christmas - The True Meaning of Christmas

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

{Throwup and Theology}


Lauren reminds us to keep Christmas and all that it stands for forever in our hearts!!


* * *
The True Meaning of Christmas
The Jones Family 1st Christmas Picture
Christmas is coming!  Christmas is coming!  I feel like shouting it from the rooftops and screaming like the crazy “Target lady” in the commercials, “It’s here!  It’s here!”  Christmas is my favorite time of year.  Of course, I love the cookies, gingerbread houses, the movies, the garland, the decorations, the trees and the festive music.  I’m extremely excited this year because this is my first Christmas as a Mommy.  Although my little one is only 8 months old, I can’t wait to make Christmas cookies with him, decorate our house and watch him open presents.  It’s going to be a high time in the Jones house this year.
However, with all of these great festivities going on, it can be easy to forget what Christmas is really about.  If you don’t believe me, just Google “Black Friday Walmart fights” and see how many people fought as if their lives depended on it for $1.88 towels and $2 waffle irons.  I know times are hard, but come on. Is this what Christmas is about?  Getting the best deal or buying things that we really don’t need?
I’m so glad that one of my favorite cartoons takes time out to tell children what Christmas is really about—the birth of Jesus Christ. 
My favorite verse in the Christmas story is Luke 2:14 (NKJV), “Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!”  What does that mean?  It means that in a world filled with evil, turmoil and unrest, you can have peace in Jesus Christ.  It means that in Christ, God will extend his favor to you or “Goodwill towards men.”  I don’t know about you, but that gives me peace when I think about my future and the future of my son. 
This week while we were driving home, a car lost control coming in the opposite direction and swerved towards us.  My husband stopped and we could do nothing but pray.  The car stopped two or three feet from hitting us head on.  My husband, my baby and I could all be dead or seriously injured, but God!  The situation frightened me, but it strengthened my faith and peace in Christ.  Come what may, we are in God’s hands!  That’s what Christmas is about—remembering what God did and continues to do for us.
I know that there are a lot of exciting things going on this season, but let’s not forget the true meaning of Christmas and share it with our loved ones.  Getting a good deal is fun, but at the end of the day, a towel is not going to do anything to enhance your joy or peace.
Merry Christmas!


2 comments

  1. What a beautiful family you have, Lauren! And you are so right...it can be so easy to get wrapped up in the craziness of the season...we really need to remember what CHRIST-mas is all about...thank you so much for this post...and I'm so glad you and your family are all OK...:)

    Merry Christmas!
    And to you, too, Nikki!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Maggie! Thanks so much Nikki. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete