Upper-Case | The power of the SHIFT

Tuesday, February 10, 2015


Source
11 He replied, “Because the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of heaven has been given to you, but not to them. 12 Whoever has will be given more, and they will have an abundance. Whoever does not have, even what they have will be taken from them. 13 This is why I speak to them in parables:
“Though seeing, they do not see;
    though hearing, they do not hear or understand. Matthew 13:11-13


Jesus spoke in parables in order to bring his lessons to life; so that they could be better understood by those he was teaching.  I very much enjoy it when my pastor speaks in parables. It really drives the message home. He uses stories of his family and children to show the bond between us and God as our Father.  This week was no different, stories of his children that relate to our relationship with God ...but then there was a second parable/analogy where Pastor spoke about writing out his notes for teaching and looking down at the keyboard and realizing that in order to capitalize a letter, he had to use the shift key.  He said that our lives are capitalized by God and that it is done by shifting (maturing, being motivated, and allowing God and His works to materialize in us). "The uppercase suggests something forceful and aggressive by nature." e.g. Yelling in all caps.  We sometimes hold onto and try to associate and live comfortable among lower-case people and it's impossible because we have been capitalized.

I tend to hold on to a lot of things. Possessions, thoughts, people.  I am also kind of a people pleaser and an introvert so sometimes I may not always say what I am feeling.  I find that in starting my walk with God, I am starting to deal with situations differently.  Though I may still feel the same emotions about situations where I feel uncomfortable, the way that I react is changing. Where I would usually get angry and yell and react, I find myself saying a prayer for peace of mind and waiting it out until I get it.

Pastor says that when you start to shift your life in the way of the Lord you become "convicted of things that others won't".  You become uncomfortable in the things that you used to be comfortable doing.  I can feel this happening in my life.  I think about some of the things that I used to do that, to be honest, I sometimes still want to do, but I battle with myself every time I even consider it and that's how I know something within me is starting to change.

Source

It is hard sometimes because I feel like some of the things that I love are farther from me because I can't be the same version of me and so the things I used to do to preserve what I love, I can't be comfortable in doing anymore.  I expect more out of people and situations than I once did.  The thing is though, it is now impossible to pretend like I don't feel this.  I can't deny the change to myself because I can't go back to what was normal ...and because of this there is nowhere to go but forward and honestly, I'm glad to know there is more to find, experience, and learn.


11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:11


I find comfort sometimes in knowing there is more. That if I keep moving forward, I wont regret it.


Notes taken at Motivation Church, Randolph MA with Pastor Jason LaPlanche

No comments

Post a Comment