American Crafter: Edgar Allan Poe Inspired Halloween

Friday, October 7, 2011

Everything Under Moon is competing in American Crafter!!


Amy of Naptime Crafters is hosting the 3rd edition of American Crafter and I was chosen as a competitor!! I am so excited to be taking part in the contest and competing with such talented women!  Nothing better then competing during the Halloween season with so many fun crafts to do!!

For my submission, being the geek for classics that I am, I decided to put a twist on Halloween and go classically creepy! Edgar Allan Poe is well known for dark and macabre stories that portray a sense of fear and mystery and he has written som eo fmy favorite works. I decided to use his stories to bring out all the darkness and dread associated with Halloween. I did this by using his stories in a few smaller projects to make one big one.

First there are the frames. The Raven, his most famous work, is used in a framed picture ...well a framed mirror, really... the frame for The Raven is actually a $1 store mirror with scrapbook paper and a bird cutout mod podged onto it. The Tell Tale Heart was next with a framed heart and the word, "thump" to remind us of the beating hear under the floor boards that just wouldn't stop.  Next I portrayed his dark story of the Masque of the Red Death with a framed mask. The red death is represented by the presence of the red frame.
I was lucky enough to find the perfect image in a google search that displayed a creepy skull with the name "poe" inscribed on his head. I put thimage on a tile to really give a Halloween feel with the addition of branches giving off a feeling of looming dread.
Finally, the white pumpkin with the simple word "Nevermore." An important detail to Poe's most famous work, The Raven.


I very much enjoyed this challenge and taking a different twist to traditional Halloween using a skull, an ominous bird, and a dead beating heart!

Hope you enjoy!!  Head on over to Naptime Crafter and vote!!! :)
(Voting ends Sunday Night at 8pm)





This is where I party.

11 comments

  1. I'm an English teacher, so I totally appreciate this!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just awesome! What a unique clever idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this project! You are sooo talented! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to let you know that I voted for you - LOVE your decor! So inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this!
    i would love for you to link this post up to flashback fridays, a link party i have going on where bloggers can link up any post that reminds them of the word flashback! here is the link:
    http://lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com/2011/10/flashback-friday-5-and-my-new-favorite.html
    i would love to see you there!
    {love} lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful. Your project is beautiful and subtle and your photography is AMAZING! give me some lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWWW!! I was afraid no one would get my nerdiness 8-) Thank you guys so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo....poe is the spookiest of spookies. LOVE it. I would love it if you would link this up to my Marvelous Mess party!! Here is the link: http://www.marvelouslymessy.com/2011/10/amrvelous-mess-34-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool! I just voted for you :)

    Corie @ Design DNA

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOOhh....I love your halloween decor!!!

    Thanks for linking up to scrappy saturdays last weekend, come on back and link up again!

    Candace

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for linking this 2 weeks ago to Once Upon a Weekend! You're being featured tonight. Come grab a button! Congrats on being on American Crafter!

    ReplyDelete